Heavy Metal Singer Quit Band “For Family,” Murdered Pregnant Fiancée

Published on:

David Yates, former frontman of the heavy metal band Nocturne Wulf, came under the spotlight for a grim reason. The 36-year-old singer quit the band in 2020, expressing his desire for “a family and a puppy” over a life of music.

However, events took a dark turn earlier this year in April with Yates at the heart of a murder investigation involving his pregnant fiancée, Marelle Sturrock, 35, in Glasgow, Scotland.

Marelle, a beloved teacher and expectant mother, tragically died along with her unborn child. Her absence was first noted when she did not show up for work at Sandwood Primary in Penilee, Glasgow.

Concerned colleagues who visited her home made the harrowing discovery, prompting the police to be alerted, according to the Scottish Sun.

While the city mourned the loss of Marelle, an extensive search for Yates spanned over 60 hours, covering the vast expanse of Mugdock Country Park in Milngavie.

The search culminated in the grim discovery of Yates’ body in a reservoir, located roughly nine miles from the couple’s residence.

Back in 2020, in a heartfelt Facebook post, Yates announced his departure from Nocturne Wulf:

“For me, latterly, I found that my heart just wasn’t in the band at the level it needed to be. I wanted a puppy more than I wanted to be in a band, I wanted a family more than I wanted to be in a band.” Yates also extended gratitude towards his fellow band members, stating they were “understanding” of his decision.

Recent police press conferences regarding the murder case raised more questions than answers. The authorities remained tight-lipped about whether Yates was known to them prior to the incident, the nature of the couple’s relationship, or any potential motives.

Detective Superintendent Nicola Kilbane admitted that she had “no idea of the whereabouts” of the couple’s pet dog and chose not to disclose if any items found at the park belonged to Yates. However, she confirmed that Marelle was 29 weeks pregnant at the time of her tragic demise.

The loss has devastated the educational community in Glasgow. Headteacher Fiona Donnelly spoke fondly of Marelle, describing her as a “lovely, kind, diligent, and considerate person who loved and made time for everyone.”

She highlighted Marelle’s significant contributions, not only as a dedicated educator but also as a musical and artistic pillar in the school. Marelle’s involvement in school choirs and her performances, including one at The King’s theatre, were particularly noted.

Grief has enveloped the community, with locals leaving heartfelt tributes, including flowers, teddy bears, and dolls outside Marelle’s home. The school’s flag now flies at half-mast, a somber symbol of a life and potential cruelly taken away too soon.

In the wake of these sorrowful events, the community binds together in collective mourning, seeking answers and trying to make sense of a tragedy that has left a lasting impact on so many lives.

Head to The Scottish Sun for their full report.