This weekend — Friday, September 6th, and Sunday, September 8th — Metallica played two “S&M²” shows with the San Francisco Symphony. In addition to revisiting the concept and collaboration behind the groundbreaking 1999 live album, S&M, and celebrating its 20th anniversary, the concerts also commemorated the grand opening of Chase Center, the new home of the Golden State Warriors. The two performances this weekend were conducted by Edwin Outwater with a special appearance by Michael Tilson Thomas. A special concert film of the shows is set to arrive in theaters worldwide on October 9th for a one-night screening event.
Both nights saw the band and the San Francisco Symphony teaming for an epic, three-hour performance that was split into two parts, and performing the same set list, which you can see below.
01. The Ecstasy of Gold (Ennio Morricone cover) (performed by the San Francisco Symphony)
02. The Call of Ktulu
03. For Whom the Bell Tolls
04. The Day That Never Comes
05. The Memory Remains
07. Moth Into Flame
08. The Outlaw Torn
09. No Leaf Clover
10. Halo on Fire
11. Scythian Suite, Op.20, Second Movement (Sergei Sergeyevich Prokofiev cover) (performed by the San Francisco Symphony)
12. Iron Foundry (Alexander Mosolov cover) (live debut)
13. The Unforgiven III (performed by the San Francisco Symphony)
14. All Within My Hands (acoustic)
15. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth (bass part performed by San Francisco Symphony bassist)
16. Wherever I May Roam
18. Master of Puppets
19. Nothing Else Matters
20. Enter Sandman (with “The Frayed Ends of Sanity” outro)
Check out an array of fan-shot footage below.